Newborn Poppy

Newborn Poppy

Saturday, July 5, 2008

Unless you have a cervix you don't have an opinion

So off I go to Philadelphia for Congress, and wouldn’t you know it I get my period while I am there so bang goes day 3 and day 6 anything for May. I reschedule my appointment with the doc and try to push it out of my mind. I haven’t had any more months where I have convinced of pregnancy and I am trying not to think about it. I am working on the assumption that if I just relax it will happen.
Vanessa comes to visit, we have a blast. I kind of view her trip as my final fling. She leaves I stop drinking altogether, make an appointment with the nutritionist – I need to get this weight off –and vow to spend six months doing whatever I need to do to get in shape. Losing weight will be good – I’ll feel better, I’ll look better and my fertility will improve. I don’t expect to ever be a size 0 or even a size 8 – but a 12 or a 14 would be lovely. I get my period at a convenient time so I finally get all of the tests done. The blood draw is fine although the volumes were a little shocking. I have a whole new respect for my patients when I take 75 – 100 mL off them. Then there was the hysterosonogram. Oh sweet Jesus. That was the most painful thing ever. I was told to expect some mild cramping. Mild? It felt like my ovary was going to come out of belly. The lovely young Fellow tried to be gentle but seriously with a speculum, a catheter in your cervix, a uterus with saline in it, and a vaginal ultrasound – it hurts! He tries to reassure me
“I’m taking the speculum out now and your cervix will relax and it won’t be so uncomfortable” he says in his soft reassuring voice.
I peer over my knees and reply “How do you know? You don’t have a cervix”
At least I get a laugh.
Then I get the results.
Day 3 Labs
LH – 4.7
FSH -11.7
Estradiol – 45
Free T-4 – 1.3
TSH – 1.75
Day 7 hysterosonogram
My uterus is sagitally 6.5cm
I have a paraovarian cyst measuring 1.9cm x 1.8cm x 2.5cm
I have 2 fibroids. One is 4.0 x 4.6 x 2.8. It is apparently intramural and approximately 25% submucosal and it’s doing something to the endometrial stripe. The other is 2.0 x 1.7 x 1.9. It is also intramural but is < 25% submucosal.

Why didn’t I pay attention in nursing school? I have no idea what any of this means. I make a fatal mistake and turn to the internet. I have a minor breakdown sitting at my desk 2 days running. I throw the results away so I won’t look at them; decide to write this so I fish them out of the trash. Throw them away again. Try to breathe but I think I may have just bought myself some surgery and some assisted reproduction.

No comments: