Newborn Poppy

Newborn Poppy

Saturday, November 21, 2009

Home Sweet Home

Finally! We finally got discharged last night! I am so thrilled to be back in my own little house trying to set up our own little routines.
The last couple of days on Blake 13 stayed quite eventful - and finally Ally (the doc who delivered Poppy) put her foot down made the nursing staff take Poppy to the nursery and I got a total of around 12 hours sleep - wow what a difference. Afebrile, no longer throwing up, feeling like a real person all of a sudden, happy to push on with the breast feeding, happy to talk to doctors....And then those words "let's get you home today - what meds would you like to go home on?" I was a little stunned at first - and stare at the doc and ask her "Well what do you think? I have no idea what antibiotics I need"
She laughs and apologises - she was actually talking about pain killers and anti-emetics. So I came home with dilaudid, zofran and cipro. It was quite a joy to be off all the IV antibiotics - they certainly trashed my veins!
So now I no longer feel quite so much like I got hit by a Mack Truck what do I really think about the past week? Okay first of all it is a total miracle - every second that I look at Poppy my heart skips a beat and I cannot believe that we created this perfect tiny creature. I am fascinated by her expressions - it is like every emotion known to man will play across her face in the space of 1 minute. She is incredibly alert, always looking at things, always staring, always watching. I know she can't see properly yet, but watching her try is so fascinating to me. Would I do it all over again? I honestly don't know - Was she worth it? Absolutely.

How do I really feel about the mother-baby unit where I spent the past week? Well not an an awful of of change there. I had a couple of incredible nurses - Ellen and Karen were the total stand outs, they were the ones who really seemed to listen, who really wanted to be there and who really did a good comprehensive job. I saw an awful lot of sitting around the nurses station - after all I guess usually people aren't sick down here - just 48 hours for a vaginal delivery and 96 for a standard c-section then home.

The lactation consultants? Well I saw I think 3 of them - they all told me something different - but only one didn't do the whole "You must dedicate yourself 100% to breast feeding." Poppy's pediatrician was actually the best resource as was the doctor who wrote my discharge orders yesterday. It would have been so much better had someone taught me how to pump - or how about thsi actually brought inthe pump my pediatrician kept requesting so that I could've pumped and kept my supply up.

The other mother-baby education involved a lot of reviews of post-partum depression. I was up to "Post partum depression lecture version 4.0" by the time I left. I kept telling everyone - I have already established care with the peri-natal psychiatry service - this includes Betty Wong who literally wrote the book on the subject.

All the education was very rushed, and I found this worrisome. I have plenty of resources - I have mommy friends, I know where to find out information, but what if I didn't have all of that? Wow I can really understand how people fall through the cracks. There is a stack of brochures you get on arrival, but I didn't look at them until late yesterday, and hopefully you can ready at better than an 8th grade level otherwise you wouldn't understand. The verbal information we got was not followed up to see that we understood - and the one thing that really struck me was how nobody ever asked "How are you doing right now - are you feeling up to recieving this information?" One "educator" actually stood in the doorway and talked at us across the room because she didn't want to wear a mask - and given the MGH policy right now that means she declined to get the H1N1 vaccine.

But inspite of all that venting - the main thing for me is that we are home, we are doing just great, Poppy is my little superstar. Oh and the dogs have totally accepted her into the "pack" When I was feeding her last night sitting on the side of the bed Raleigh had to be laid right behind me - just keeping an eye on the proceedings, and both dogs get so upset when she cries.....

No comments: