Newborn Poppy

Newborn Poppy

Saturday, August 30, 2008

Possum Tossing

So as my readers (if I have any except Nessa) know I am not from the USA, and because of that I am not terribly familiar with North American wildlife. I know about coyotes, rattlers, birds, coatis, and even bears and deer - you know stuff that doesn't come in the bloody yard! Now last year when we moved to Boston I discovered opossums and raccoons, and while I have seen them in the neighborhood they have never actually bothered me and raccoons are really, really cute.
So now we move onto my new occupation/skill - please if you are a PETA person stop reading now!
I was sitting on the back porch chatting to my sister in law about maternity clothes and I noticed that the dogs were tossing what I thought was toy between them. It looked like a ducky from Pet Smart. Oh sweet Jesus I suddenly realise that it is not a toy - it is something real! I hang up the phone and dash down to the patio and realize that the "toy" is an opossum. But Jo knows jack about these weird rat/kangaroo creature. I see it looking like it is in full rigor, it seems to gasp a breath - I thought agonal - freaked out - picked it up and tossed it about 30 feet into the parking lot next door. I run inside shaking my hands squealing "We don't have nice dogs, we don't have nice dogs"
Robert comes out - goes over to the "dead possum" - and points out that possums play dead - hence the term "playing possum". He flips the critter into a pet carrier and leaves it on the side porch. Lo and behold 2 hours later there is a very pissed off very much alive opossum sitting in a pet carrier baring it's 50 teeth at us!
The possum has now run away to safer dog and possum tosser free pastures! So I am now officially a "possum tosser"

No comments: